This CoP was our very first. In 2002, we began our work with agencies in PA as they developed an interagency Memorandum of Agreement (MOU). In 2004, several states came together to form this National CoP focused on improving interagency transition initiatives and promoting the role of youth. Today, federal agencies, states and national organizations are joined in the community:
- States include: AZ, CA, DC, DE, ND, NH, NY, PA, SD, VA, WI
- 16 national organizations;
- 7 technical assistance (TA) Centers; and
- Federal Partners: Departments of Education (DOE), Transportation (DOT), Labor (DOL), and Justice (DOJ).
Together, they focus on issues such as:
- Behavioral/MH and Transition,
- Common Core (College and Career Ready) Standards and Transition,
- Integrated Employment,
- Increasing Accessible Transportation,
- Outreach to Child Welfare, Juvenile Justice, and Mental Health,
- P-16/P-20: 'Cradle to College and Career',
- Post-secondary Options,
- Self-determination and Youth Investment, and
- Transitioning Youth on the Autism Spectrum Disorder
- The Community of Practice (CoP) Meeting is held annually in conjunction with the Capacity Building Institute sponsored by the IDEA Partnership, NDPC-SD, NPSO, and NSTTAC. Community members interact regularly through monthly conference calls, webinars, and practice group activities.
- 10th National CoP on Transition Meeting, May 5-6, 2013: States, national organizations and TA Centers are planning the 10th National CoP meeting which will be held in Charlotte, NC from May 5-6, 2013. This year's Community meeting will focus on growing and sustaining state and national communities of practice. Specifically we will address the CoP development skills, CoP strategies, and tools for engaging stakeholders.
- Capacity Building Institute, May 6-9, 2013: The National CoP on Transition will sponsor four sessions on the following topics:
- Crossing the Agency Boundaries on Employment for Students with Significant Disabilities
- A National Dialogue on Transition Convened by Council of Administrators of Vocational Rehabilitation (CSAVR) and The National Association of State Directors of Special Education (NASDSE)
- Common Core and Transition: Boon or Bust
- Mental Health and Transition: Interconnected Systems Framework
CoP Webinar Series on Employment
- The National CoP is working together to create attention on Integrated Employment. To do that they have organized 3 webinars, co-led and delivered by individuals in many roles. The Webinar each unique focus and collectively they ask us to rethink segregated work.
- Get the Picture: Life after schooling for students with moderate and significant disabilities - February 20, 2013 2:00 – 3:30 PM ET
- Get In the Picture: Connecting with Efforts to Improve Community and Employment Outcomes - March 27, 2013 2:00 – 3:30 PM ET
- Change the Picture: A Shared Commitment to Improving Futures - April 24, 2013 2:00 – 3:30 PM ET
Review some presentations given by CoP members on issues